This just in...No one cares!

Those of you who are familiar with the Ottawa Sun, or most likely most of the Sun papers in Canada, I don't read them all, will know that they run a letters to the editor in the sports section covering all things sports. Many of these are informative, insightful and strongly based in facts or at least grounded in some sort of reality well others are about as insightful as a blind guy watching you through a brick wall. My point is that recently there have been a lot, and I mean a lot of letters on soccer at with the U20 World Cup and David Beckham around soccer interest has certainly peaked, but the point is that they are debating it compared to hockey, questioning the ability of the athletes in one sport vs. another and so on and so forth. Yes, hockey players are generally physically tougher and more rugged than soccer players, and yes I love that about hockey, but the point is that's a part of the game. The unnecessary diving and flopping around of these soccer players has garnered them a reputation for being weak little girly men from many fans, and I do admit these shameful displays do nothing to improve the games reputation, but calling their manhood into question is taking it a bit far. The fat is many people like hockey better than soccer, my self included, but that doesn't mean I hate soccer or don't think the players are athletic. The point is they are games, and you can debate all you want which is better and which is more entertaining and so on and so forth but the point is, who cares. You prefer soccer, or lacrosse or bowling, good for you. I don't care. I know what I like so why must those who like something else judge those who don't like it? The letters are entertaining and I will not blame Sun Media for publishing them because they are encouraging it certainly, but they are running a business. I blame those with nothing better to do then write in just to make fun of someone else or feel the need to defend the honour of their game over and over. Let's just agree that people like sports, maybe we don't all like the same one, but who cares, that's why we have so many...

No comments: