The fairer sex...

I watched blades of glory the other day and seeing the many cameos by female American figure skaters got me thinking about the nature of women in sport. The age old question arises to this day, does a female athlete loose some of her femininity? Sasha Cohen, or her likeness, were displayed in blades of glory as was Nancy Kerrigan. Both very attractive women, Cohen winning sexiest female athlete several years ago, and for good reason. Then there are the tennis beauties such as Sharapova and Ivanovic who are tall and good looking, any guy would jump at the chance to be with them. So, what does their athletic ability have to do with it? Danica Patrick could easily drive circles around most men she would meet on a day to day basis, so does this intimidate? I know that most of my buddies, and I will say myself included, would not want to get our asses kicked in any sport by our girlfriend, wife, significant other, whatever...There still exists that notion of the masculine strength and superiority in physical tasks and endeavours. And lets face facts, speaking strictly scientifically men are more adapt at such events because of their genes, though I would have to question this in many cases. There is no reason that women can't be good at sports, but I doubt many would jump at the chance to get into a full contact sport with their male counterparts. This is not to say that there aren't those who couldn't handle it, or wouldn't relish the though, I know many that would hand me my lunch any day, but we are talking about the norm here, the average person. So while being able to be athletic is not the most girly girly thing in the world, I have no problem with it, and hell I'd even go so far as to say in some cases its hot...

No comments: