Money Talks...


So, I have come to the conclusion that money is all that matters in the world at this point and time. Weather in business or sports, which can be the same thing at times, money is the bottom line. The Ryan Smyth trade today solidifies this for me. My buddy Scott remarked that it was disgraceful that it came to this, and I agree. This guy was the face of this franchise for years, and was a popular figure not only on the team but in the community as well. This is the kind of thing that should come into play more often in life, knowing and respecting people not only for what they do but for the kind of people they are. This was a move that the Oilers should not have had to have made, they should have singed Smyth for whatever he wanted and been happy to have a world class player and person in their organization. This is likened to the Joe Thornton trade for me, and look at San Jose now...they added Bill Guerin today and are poised to make a cup run - The best move of deadline day. Back to my point, the Oilers should have bit the bullet because the sum of the parts is greater than the individual, and Smyth was a huge part of this team, and the city. He lead them to game 7 last year, and though this season wasn't going as planned the team shouldn't have given up on him. For shame Edmonton. I feel for the Oil faithful. True, Kevin Lowe was not in an enviable position having to risk getting nothing for him, but still, why did it come to that? I will wonder that for a long time.

What was your opinion of deadline day?

3 comments:

Aaron Sadhankar said...

I am still crying. Why Edmonton. WHY??

Anonymous said...

Boo-hoo, who cares! Oilers weren't going to make the playoffs then and they aren't going to make the playoffs now. Nothing changes and Smyth will finally get a ring (should I remind you Aaron - something that he wasn't able to do in Edmonton).

:)

-Dave

Aaron Sadhankar said...

I just saw this comment. Screw you Dave the anonymous commenter. Screw you.