Batman....Super Hero?




So, I got to thinking about superheros the other day, what with the rash of superhero movies coming out, and what makes them great, and eventually I came around to thinking about Batman - aka. Bruce Wayne, and came to the conclusion that he really isn't a superhero per-say. When you think about it, all he possesses is a lot of cash, and a lot of training from great fighters. He has no physical abilities that differentiate him from any other human being. Maybe he's a real nice guy, I don't know, I've never met him. But one thing is clear, he is a fighter, a warrior, and has many of the selfless and brave attributes attributed to superheroes, but none of the other characteristics that make a superhero. He is a hero, but what makes him super? He has no 'powers' to make him unique. So, as much as I enjoy the early and latest films, and the comics, sorry Bruce, but I can't put you in the same category of many of the other superheroes out there. Though I respect you more than many of those whose powers seem useless, or laughable.
Who is your favorite superhero? and what makes a hero?

3 comments:

Aaron Sadhankar said...

Batman kicks ass. You don't have to have super powers to be a superhero. His suit is less flaming that Superman's too.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say Captain Planet. He has a great theme song and was ahead of his time if you think of it - environmental awareness wasn't really around until recently.

This comment of course bars my real 'super hero' that I had to disqualify from the category because I couldn't even compare them with... what was that... Fantastic Four???

Who else, but the dazzling Brad Pitt.

- I will just not put my name here... but I'm sure you can figure it out...

Anonymous said...

In response to Aaron's comment: I sometimes wonder if the "flaming suit" is a key attribute of the superhero world - especially Marvel Comics. Try to think of some who don't - I'd say Brad Pitt - but then again, those are so damn hot they would have to be flaming!!! Me-Ow!!!

-once again to protect the identity of the writer, this name will remain anonymous