Summer Time and the Living's easy...for some...

As I sit here at work, and look around me, I see...nothing. There's no one here. Perhaps because they all get vacation, maybe its because I work for the government and it's after 3, who knows. And I am aware of the irony of me writing this on work time. My point is being the low man on the totem pole is about as much fun as dropping the soap in a prison shower. I drag myself into work everyday, not that my job is overly hectic or stressful, I get well paid and am very thankful for what I have, but my point is that is somewhat discouraging to see people take vacation and have the first though in your mind be, 'vacation from what?' all they really do is come in here everyday, and that's it. I guess that's stressful enough for some, but it only makes me agree with my friends who think our government services are in drastic need of an overhaul. I am all for a more relaxed and less stressful work place environment, but there has to be some kind of line in the sand. Maybe I am cynical because any other job I have had was for little pay and much more work, but who knows. The summer months are certainly less stressful in most work environments, though not all, and as such I understand there will naturally be a decline in workload and personnel, but when you get no holidays, or very few long weekends, it bites. Plain and simple. The only people around are students, or newer employees who have not banked the years required to take a summer off. My parents always told me you have to pay your dues, and so I carry on, content with being employed, losing the desire to change the world...I'm not sure I enjoy paying those dues, but they are taken nonetheless...

No comments: