Man vs. Robot

So, this all started the other night when I was watching hockey and the referee got in the way of the puck, it bounced right to Maple Leaf's forward Boyd Deveraux and he promptly scored into a wide open net. My questions further arose after witnessing the completely bogus job our referee did in our intramural game today. My point is, if I have one- it'd be a first - that Aaron and Dave suggested they have robots to cover sports events instead of human beings. And this got me thinking about many aspects of our society. Would we be better served by letting machines do our work for us? Well, no, not in my opinion. As smart as robots may be, its because we tell them to be. They can't make decisions for themselves, and their capacity is very limited. I know, they show more intelligence then many humans, and can be entertaining - just watch Futurama - but the fact is that machines cannot replace human beings in certain situations. People are far more capable in most situations than machines, and I think that we need to remember that. I know AI is up and coming, but it will never replace a loved one, or a friend. At least I hope not...

No comments: