Musicals aren't always Gay...

I watched Scrubs tonight...one of my all time favorite TV shows, and one of the best shows on TV right now...and as it happened, it was a musical episode. I'm usually not the musical type, movies like Grease made my inside churn so hard I had to check my stool to make sure they were all still there, but this was different. This was a clever, witty show, as it usually is, and the music was done with an intelligence and sense of humor not usually seen in, well, the very minimal musical experience I have. I know I am not an authority on the subject and many people will be pissed at my quantifying the musical genre as gay, but it isn't exactly the most masculine display a man can make either...and if you don't believe me just watch some choreography from any musical, any one at all. I know singing isn't easy, personally I couldn't carry a tune if some one gave me a case for it, and at times it can be the most moving of experiences, but all the dancing and prancing around tends to detract/distract from what the point of it is. Maybe this is the point...I'm not really sure. I thought there was usually some sort of story involved too. Anyway, scrubs isn't the first show to do this. they do a creative episode every year, such as My Way Home, and these are among the best episodes the show has ever done. The Drew Carey show also did a lot of creative episode, including musical ones, and they to were funny and entertaining, although they were done in a more traditional musical fashion. And apparently Buffy the Vampire Slayer did one too...who knew, thanks for the tip Aaron. Anyway, the point is, that there can be musical entertainment that can appeal to all, but it is a rarity...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.