Video Games (AKA Geek Crack)

My brother and I decided to split our Christmas cash and bought an Xbox 360. Great idea at the time, me being home for Christmas. In retrospect the fact that I don't live in the same house as him, let alone the same city, for the majority of the year turned out not that great of an idea. We picked the 360 up on boxing day, braving the rampage of farmers and small-town folks at Walmart wanting to get discounted high definition TVs (yes, even farmers are going high def apparently). I spent every spare moment i could playing it. A week later though I had to leave to go back to Ottawa. Well, I left the console there, thinking that I won't miss it for a bit. I worked out a deal with my brother to get the machine in a week or two.
Fast forward to the next day where I am sitting in the corner of my room in the fetal position, shaking and salivating from the mouth...OK, not quite. but damn did I really want to play again. Which brings me to the conclusion that video games are like crack to the geek-minded. Like illicit drugs, video games can be a considerable burden on finances. They can affect your health and social life, just like drugs. And they can be ridiculously addictive, just like crack. And Microsoft has taken that one step further by providing great online functionality for cracked-out people to talk and play together over the Internet. I always saw Bill Gates as the drug-dealer type...
Anyway, I had a lot more to talk about and even had a picture planned (hell this post was actually making sense in my head), but i have high-definition games that need playing.

Oh yeah, if anyone reading this plays on Live, go ahead and add me to your friends list if you want. My gamertag is aaronS.

No comments: